Sunday 19 May 2019

A period of rest, revival and appreciation.....

Photo shows my new working area, with two computer monitors a Dolphin keyboard to help me use Supernova more easily.
Photo shows my new working area, with
 two computer monitors and a Dolphin 

keyboard to help me use Supernova more easily.
I have been absent quite some time for various reasons. The main one is that, as mention on my social media post a month ago, I was rather ill in February and I didn't start feeling like my normal self until the end of March. Also, we have been in the process of having an office built above our garage and this is now completed apart installing a fitted doormat. It is an amazing space to work in and is benefiting us all hugely now that we have our home back. My husband is an accountant and has been running his business from our home for about the last eight years. It has grown a great deal and now, along with my goals of developing a disability consultancy, it was time to move out of the house. I have moved from working off a dining room table to having a spacious desk with two monitors!


Photo shows a view from the office entrance looking across fields and trees.
Photo shows a view from our office
 entrance looking out across fields
 and trees.
I did feel as though I should have been giving updates but there just weren't enough hours in the day or enough energy within me to do so. It was quite a test on my perfectionist tendencies! Life is calmer now and I feel ready to work on developing my training again and raising great awareness of my ambitions and plans for the future.

It was very interesting to consider the design of our office from scratch. I used all the knowledge I have gained in sight loss to ensure it was as accessible as possible. We have used contrast, making sure the desks and chairs are a dark colour to stand out against the floor. Also, we chose dark grey kitchen units and worktop to ensure I can have the best chance of seeing the edge of the worktop so that hopefully I won't knock things off it.

Photo shows my outdoor stairlift leading to our office
Photo shows my outdoor
 stairlift leading to our office



I needed to have a stairlift installed because the office is above the garage. This caused a dilemma because originally we were going to have a brick staircase but we all decided that a wooden staircase could be built more precisely to the stairlift specifications. I was unaware that there are outdoor stairlifts but we found one that is specially treated to withstand the elements. It does have a cover that we put over it when it's not in use. Our new garage doors are electrically operated which means that I can independently store my wheelchair in the garage and travel up to the office on my own using my crutches and the stairlift.

Photo shows Melissa
with a background of
blue sky, trees and fields.
As well as developing my training, I'm also working on information for a workshop that I've been asked to be part of. I'm really honoured to be invited and I'm looking forward to being back in the eye health sector for the day. More information to follow........

~ Best wishes, Melissa ~

No comments:

Post a Comment